As you may or may not have noticed I’m on a bit of an experimental food kick. So, this post is all about making a classic late night snack food healthy, plant based, and – best of all – GUILT FREE!
What might I be talking about? You guessed it (or you read the title) – Nacho Cheese! Now, I’m not talking the kind of cheese you may find on fancy nacho’s from your neighborhood “I’m working really hard to be fun and hip” restaurant that is actually some smoked gouda béchamel. No. My friends, I’m talking the crappy kind of nacho cheese you find at a college football game. The kind that you literally feel clogging your arteries as it goes down your gullet. That is the kind of cheese I am trying to create here. But, you know, minus all of that artery clogging good(?)ness.
So, after much research and taking into consideration the fact that most vegan cheese’s contain cashews – to which I am allergic – I came up with this recipe!
Vegan Veggie Nacho Cheese
- 1 sweet potato – Or 2 carrots
- 1 potato
- 3 to 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Scallion (green onion)
- Salt to tast (will probably be around a 1/2 tbsp)
- 1/4 Cup (about) water
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil or some other kind of oil
- 1/3 cup Salsa or diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeño (optional)
- Boil a medium size pot of salted water. Wash off potatoes and chop them up.
- Toss potatoes into boiling water and cover. Let steam for about 15 min.
- In a food processor or blender, place roughly chopped green onion. Use all of it (aside from the roots) so that the flavor really comes through.
- Next, add all seasonings and nutritional yeast to the food processor. Lightly pulse or stir a few times to be sure everything is evenly combined.
- Once potatoes are fork tender, add those into the food processor along with water, oil and salsa. Blend until smooth and creamy!
- At this point you could be done, OR, you could add in some diced pickled jalapeño. Either stir these in or add them and run the food processor one more time if you don’t want to have any surprising spicy chunks.
And… VOILA! You have some delish Vegan Nacho Cheese!
I was so pleasantly surprised by how this recipe turned out and I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments, as well as any modifications you try to improve upon this recipe! Thank you for reading, until next time peeps!